Posts tagged ‘God’s grace’
My family & I just spent another wonderful week on Chincoteague Island & enjoyed the Assateague Island National Seashore. I love it here! Life moves at a slow pace & the native islanders embrace their wildlife with care. It’s truly amazing how much peace and serenity can be found on the Virginia side of Assateague.
Family and friends alike questioned us about why we would make such a long drive just to come to a beach. The trip took us over 16hrs from east Tennessee. The most popular beach destination for most east Tennesseeans is Myrtle Beach (a 6hr drive). Here’s why we drive so far for so long:
1. Commercialization – there is very little on Chincoteague! There are no skyscraper hotels, condos, or timeshare on the beach. There is no boardwalk consisting of stores & restaurants repeating themselves for miles.
2. Chaos – there is none here!
3. The best hotel on the small island is the Best Western where they cook a mean breakfast each morning!
4. I’ve only seen 3 franchise establishments! Ledo’s, McDonald’s, and Sunsation. That’s it! Everything else is mom & pop 🙂
5. It’s clean
6. My husband has no cell phone service (which means he can’t work).
7. The wildlife is abundant & protected.
8. The whole town shuts down by 10pm. There are no worries of loud noises late at night.
9. It’s peaceful
10. There’s no pressure or stress. There’s no crowded beach!
We did experience a tad of excitement two days while at the beach while the bomb squad detonated bombs that appeared on shore on the Maryland side of Assateague. My husband & I discussed what the large booms could be. Later in the evening, we discovered it wasn’t a sonic boom, but bombs!! You can read about it here
What can I say? Adventure tends to follow us 😉
Don’t be Afraid of PCS! At first, I was very scared when I realized I didn’t know or remember:
– so many people that said they knew me
– things people would talk about and assume I followed along
– recognizing the things that make me …ME!
But, after about a week, I realized (minus the headaches), that whacking my head was a blessing in disguise, therefore Don’t be Afraid of PCS! Another Adventure in the making!!
The extreme tiredness was a great way to slow me down. I’m always on the go, always mentally stimulated, or otherwise engaged in something that’s more important to me than resting. Granted, almost falling asleep while driving was bad…but that’s when I, litttle miss Independent, gave the keys to my friend. I slept like a narcalleptic, any where – any time. My body felt sooo rested.
After allowing myself to rest, my brain was able to shut down & reboot. God’s grace allowed memories to flood over me while I slept. I began to remember! 🙂 The headaches increased in frequency & pain until I was forced to go see the nurses again on Thursday of last week. She spoke with my Dr’s nurse, who called some steroids in to the pharmacy for me to pick up. The steroids decreased the swelling on my brain & I began to be ME again!! Yeah 🙂
My boys were so happy I knew them, their sisters, my sister, and my grandbabies (except one). I slowly began to notice my current life circumstances in a grand revelation. I had some work to do to my home & needed to get a grip on life once more. Ah, Don’t be Afraid of PCS!
There are still times when I can’t finish a thought, when my brain freezes, but a silver lining appears. Women should not always speak in such grand colorful detail anyway, or lose their audience as well as their own pattern of thought. If someone interrupts me when I’m speaking, I make note of who they are (because I’m forming new opinions of people now unable to remember the old opinions I had) & neglect to finish my own story. I’ve decided less is more. 🙂
Another bright side of PCS – THE HEADACHES. I’m being completely honest. Not that I enjoy pain, but because I cannot allow my brain to become too full, stressed, or busy- or else the headache pain vibrates through my skull leading me to drop to my knees in pain. So, I avoid noise, stress when possible, & raising my voice.
Slowing down in life has allowed me to notice the small things again that I use to LIVE for daily.
Ahhhhh, It’s all good. Don’t be Afraid of PCS!
Posted from WordPress for Android